Monday 4 July 2016

EXHAUST WRAP

Sorry for not making any posts the past few weeks. I have been abroad and only just returned.

Today's update is a new one for me. I have wrapped the exhaust and have never carried this out before. I bought titanium coloured exhaust wrap from eBay. I cannot find the link for the wrap I purchased. It is 2 inches wide and I cannot remember how long. I think it was 30 meters.




I have no experience of wrapped exhausts or wrapping them. I watched a few YouTube videos on how to wrap the exhaust. 

With the exhaust already off I taped up the ends, where the brackets or silencer go. This was basically a visual guide so I didn't wrap to far. 

I also painted the ends of the exhaust with high heat black paint as the metal was looking pretty poor and I couldn't be bothered polishing them up.


With that complete I soaked the exhaust wrap in a bucket of cold water. There seems to be some debate with this online. Is there a benefit or not for wetting the wrap? I believe so as it is easier to wrap, although heavier. When it dries it should tighten up. 

I wrapped the first header from the mid section to the top with around a 1 inch overlap. Wrapping this way makes the overlaps face down the way and doesn't collect dirt and water off the road. 

Once completed i used the supplied metal ties to clap the wrap on.


I then wrapped the second header. I started from the rear and worked my way forward again. 

I'm not keen on these metal clamps. They are tricky to get tight. I may replace them with stainless steel jubilees.

No comments:

Post a Comment