Monday 6 June 2016

PAINTING AND INSTALLING REAR SHOCKS

As you seen from previous posts, the rear shocks are in a right state appearance wise. They are in full working order but horrible to look at with all the corrosion and the rubbers being perished.

I ordered new rubbers from Kawasaki Original Parts and they turned up after a couple of days so I removed the old rubber bushes. They just popped right out. 

In the mean time, I sanded down the shocks to remove the loose corrosion on the springs and gave the whole set up a few coats of satin black Hammerite spray paint. They look pretty awesome. 

When the paint dried I inserted the new bushes. They are very tight compared to the old worn out ones, so I applied a little grease to the outside of the bushes and little bit if grease to the inside appetite of the shocks. The bushes slid right in after that without using any tools. Push fit. 

I attached the shocks back into the bike. The near side shock went on with no bother at all, but the offside was a real pain In the ass. It requires a lot of persuasion to get onto the bolt, but got there in the end. After that it is just a case of applying and tightening the nut. 

The lower mounts slid in really easily. You have to remember that there are little sleeves that go in the bushes so the threaded bolt doesn't tear up the bushes. I salvage the sleeves from my old rubbers as I didn't want to spend another £10 on tiny plastic sleeves. When they are in place, life the bolt through and tighten them up against the nut.




No comments:

Post a Comment